The Mayers Memorial Hospital Blood Drive is scheduled from 1:00 – 6:00 pm at the Fall River Seventh Day Adventist Church. You can pre-schedule your appointment by visiting
www.bloodsource.org/drives and entering location code H105.
According to Mayers Memorial BlogSpot:
- More than 4.5 million patients need blood transfusions each year in the U.S. and Canada.
- 43,000 pints: amount of donated blood used each day in the U.S. and Canada.
- Someone needs blood every two seconds.
- Only 37 percent of the U.S. population is eligible to donate blood – less than 10 percent do annually.
- About 1 in 7 people entering a hospital need blood._
- One pint of blood can s+ave up to three lives.
- Healthy adults who are at least 17 years old, and at least 110 pounds may donate about a pint of blood—the most common form of donation—every 56 days, or every two months. Females receive 53 percent of blood transfusions; males receive 47 percent.
- 94 percent of blood donors are registered voters.
- Four main red blood cell types: A, B, AB and O. Each can be positive or negative for the Rh factor. AB is the universal recipient; O negative is the universal donor of red blood cells.
- Dr. Karl Landsteiner first identified the major human blood groups – A, B, AB and O – in 1901.
For more information call Valerie Lakey (530)336-7504 or Email: email@example.com