On April 1, candidates for 2017 Honorary Mayor of Burney came to a “Meet the Candidates” event in Bailey Park. Candidates spoke about the charities they are raising money for and their hopes for Burney and the Intermountain area.
Seven candidates have registered to run for the following charities:
- Anna Denny, for Burney Sober Grad Night
- Jill Daugherty, for Burney Citizens Patrol
- Ralph Freitas, for Make-a-Wish (Shasta County)
- James Glaser, for Boy Scout Troop 38
- Dana Hauge, for Burney 4-H
- Shaylene Herndon, for TriCounties Community Network, and
- Mary Frances Unterreiner, for St Vincent de Paul
Due to scheduling events, Anna Denny and Dana Hauge were unable to be present. However, Jen Luck read a speech that Dana had prepared and Anna’s candidacy and charity were also announced and explained.
Jen Luck, secretary for the Burney Chamber of Commerce, emceed the event. Refreshments were donated by the local Burney Safeway store.