The 2017 Kid Fit Family Track and Field Event was held as part of the opening activities for Burney Basin Days at Burney High School on June 29 from 6-8 p.m. The activities also included the Ice Cream Social and the announcement of the winner of the 2017 Honorary Mayor’s Race.
Hundreds of children, parents, and community members came to enjoy the wonderful family fun event. Young people from toddlers to teens competed in eleven different events including Frisbee and softball throw, 3-legged races, gunny sack races, 100, 200, 400 yard and mile races, long jump, tug-of-war, a diaper race, and a bubble gum competition.
Dozens of volunteers helped to make sure that all of the races and other contests ran smoothly.
Shaylene Herndon, Bright Futures coordinator at Tri County Network organized the event with help from Dana Hauge.
This was the third of five Kid Fit events to be held this summer.
The Kid Fit program is organized locally by Bright Futures and Tri Counties Community Network. It began in 2006 to address the obesity epidemic that was threatening the health of children in our country.
. The program has 7 goals:
- Decreasing the incidence of Childhood Obesity in our region
- Increasing the level of physical activity by local families
- Raising awareness of healthy lifestyle choices
- Increasing use of our local parks, facilities, and other community programs
- Broadening understanding of healthy food and snack choices
- Building a stronger community by gathering families together in a healthy proactive way, and
- Collaborating with already established community events.
Here are more pictures of the evenings events.
Shaylene Herndon gave special thanks to the Pit River Casino who donated $5000 to fund this years Kid Fit Summer Program.
To see more photos of the Kid Fit competition as well as the Ice Cream Social and the Mayor’s announcement see 2017 Burney Basin Days Opening was Great!